Although a salad is packed with healthy vitamins and minerals, they are often over eaten and loaded with fatty topings. Extra toppings may include, but are not limited too, croutons, cheese, processed meats and salad dressings. With these added toppings, you may as well eat a cheeseburger. Most salads purchased at your favorite fast food restaurant or dine-in-restaurant are higher in calories than that cheeseburger.
If weightloss is your goal and you insist on being a rabbit, try some of the following helpful tips when eating that salad:
- Dressing on the side.
- Dip the tip of your fork in the dressing, then fork your salad.
- If you need something crunchy on your salad, try adding walnuts, almonds, etc.
- Make your own croutons out of whole grain/whole wheat bread. Most store botton croutons contain a ton of sodium, msg.
- Add fruit to your salad. This is a great way to flavor your salad and you get the bonus of a serving of fruit.
- Try to choose an olive oil based dressing or vinegerette. Not only can you create your own dressing, but you also get a healthy serving of good fat.
- Add grilled chicken, fish or lean steak that you prepared to your salad. Not only is this high in protein and tastey, but you avoid processed meats!
Until next time……..